Grab some more canned peaches because the season finale of Deadwood is about to get under way! This is one of my favorite episodes in the entire series. A lot of the conflicts and issues of the first season come to a head here. And the after math of it all is… very optimistic and uplifting. Which is surprising for a show that can be so dark and violent. Yet that’s what I love about it.
• The Reverend is shown to be even worse, to the point of not being to function anymore. 😥
• The Magistrate arrives in town and is a total asshole as was expected.
• Al is sighted eating a peach!
• Doc Cochrane gives Jewel the boot/brace she was begging for last episode.
• The Doc can’t nurse the Reverend 24/7 so some of the whores at the Gem take over. Seems appropriate for a man of the cloth.
• Leon (Cy’s henchman) is shown to start an argument with the Chinese over his laundry.
• Alma’s Dad, Otis, is not the nice guy I had hoped he was. He wants Alma to pay off his debts (apparently she has already done this for him once before). Alma freaks out at his persistence and runs to her hero, Bullock.
• Joanie and Charlie are basically BFFs now.
• Bullock is super pissed and goes on a Hulk like rampage. BULLOCK SMASH!
• Bullock beats Otis to a pulp in Cy’s saloon. Alma (and I) swoons. Bullock: “Leave this camp, and draw a map for anyone who wants to believe your fuckin’ lies. Anyone who wants to put your daughter or her holdings in jeopardy, you show ‘em how to get here. And you tell ‘em I’ll be waiting.”
• Leon again argues with the Chinese. One of the Chinese gets shot in the scuffle. Con Stapleton (the Sheriff) sides with Cy and Leon. Even Tom is super pissed that Con could be bought that easily (seriously, he didn’t even last one episode!).
• Bullock is still rampaging when he sees the injustice of it all. He seizes Tom’s sheriff badge and throws it in the mud only to pick it up a moment later. That moment reminds me a little of the Napoleon quote, “I saw the crown of France laying on the ground, so I picked it up with my sword.”
• The Magistrate and the General choose to stay at Cy’s saloon. Can’t say I blame them, EB is super annoying, why stay at his hotel if you don’t have to.
• Bullock goes over to the Gem and hints to Dan that he should kill Otis. Not such a white knight anymore is he?
• Al to Wu: “When did you start thinking every problem had a remedy? You come to camp for justice? Or to make your fucking way, Wu?”
• Adams is back in town. But is he on the side of good (Al) or evil (the Magistrate)?
• The Magistrate is easily bought off by Cy, but the General not so much. The General to Cy: “If I were sheriff I’d have you hanged.”
• Now Bullock wants the General to protect Otis? Did he have a change of heart or is he trying to set up Al? I’m pretty sure it’s the former. Bullock can’t help doing the right thing.
• Joanie gleefully brings Alma Otis’s teeth which she collected from the Bella Union floor. Joanie empathizes with Alma as she too had a controlling, manipulative father.
• Alma and Bullock finally get it on!!! YES! There’s so much chemistry going on between the two of them this episode. But eww at Alma’s hairy armpit. I know it’s historically accurate, but seeing it still makes me cringe.
• The Doc has an emotional breakdown scene. It’s a really powerful moment and the acting from Brad Dourif is superb. He prays to God, begging for the Reverend to be put out of his misery. This also leads into some PTSD flashback for him to the Civil War. “Jesus Christ, Just Please, God, take that Minister. What conceivable godly use is his protracted suffering to you? What conceivable godly use? What conceivable Godly use was the screaming of all those men? Did you, did you need to hear their death agonies to know your—your omnipotence?”
• Well, the Doc gets his wish, maybe not in the way he had expected. Al suffocates the Reverend in order to be compassionate and end his suffering. “You can go now, brother.” (a hint at Al’s own brother?) Al even cries a little afterward.
• Adams slits the throat of the Magistrate in front of Al. I guess we know what side he’s on now. Al also kills two birds here as the Magistrate happened to have the warrant for Al’s arrest on him.
• Jewel’s boot is a success, the Doc is plastered, so the two dance around together. It is a joyful moment, pure and simple. “I’m as nimble as a forest creature.”
• Bullock visits Al.
Bullock: “I’ll be the fucking sheriff.”
Al, gesturing to the badge: “On the tit.”
Bullock: “I know where it goes.”
• Bullock acknowledges to Al that he and Alma have a thing going on. Al is quite understanding and allows them to gaze at each other across the street like two star crossed lovers.
• Trixie and Al exchange a look. The episode ends with the happy exchanges between these two, Alma and Bullock, and Jewel and the Doc.
• Fuck(er)(ing): 36
• Tit: 3
• Cocksucker: 6
• Shit: 2
• Bag of shit: 2
This episode gets 5 out of 5 Hoopleheads.
Now then, what show should I watch next? Should I continue on with Deadwood? Should I go back and finish watching The White Queen? Or Should I watch a season of Ray Donovan? Leave a comment if you have a suggestion for me, I’m conflicted at the moment.